The first published map of Santa Clara County from Thompson and West’s 1876 New Historical Atlas of Santa Clara Co., California, it clearly defines the boundaries between Las Animas Rancho and the surrounding ranchos, as well as identifying the large landholders in the region. Many of the maps in the atlas were based on surveying done by San Jose surveyors, A.T. and Charles Herriman. The Herriman’s had been hired by Henry Miller to do a preparatory survey of the Las Animas Ranch in anticipation of the lawsuit. This work was completed in 1875. The Santa Clara Board of Supervisors was so impressed with the work that they hired the Herriman brothers to survey the entire county. Thompson and West based their atlas on the work of these men and a few others. Generally very accurate, this particular map is somewhat misleading because it implies, through its different use of color that Gilroy was outside of the Las Animas’ Rancho boundaries, which it was not.